Prejudice

Before I stepped into the subculture, I thought that cosplay was an activity for kids. My concept of the cosplay culture came from my childhood memory. When I was a child, I usually watched cartoons and Anima. People could not predict the outcome of the story. That is the reason why Anima has developed my imagination. The Anima characters were fantastic because they could do impossible things in real life. I dreamed that I could use magic like Sailor Moon. Therefore, I asked my mother to buy a “staff” for me. Every time Anima started playing, I swung the childish staff and tried to act like the Anima character. Ever since I grew up and had flashbacks of my childhood memory, I felt like I was a bit dumb in the past. As I grew up, I learned how to use computers and traveled around the cyber world. Suddenly, I found out a new type of subculture called cosplay. My elder cousin is addicted to cosplay culture. Her cabinet was filled with wigs and costumes. She always sat in front of the computer, had a conversation on the cosplay discussion board, and bid on cosplay items from eBay. I didn’t understand why my cousin would to spend a lot of time and money on those boring kid things. Therefore, I wanted to find out the answer.